Established in 2001, Johner Estate started off on a bare grazing land.
So far we have planted 8 ha of various Pinot Noir clones, originally selected in Burgundy, 3 ha of Sauvignon Blanc and a further hectare of 10 trial varieties ranging from Pinot Gris to Syrah.
In 2008 we were able to source grapes from the Lyndor Estate to create a Cabernet and Merlot Blend from one of Wairarapa’s oldest vineyard growing on limestone.
In 2010 we started our first additional planting of 0.5 ha of Syrah on our main premises.
- Annual rain fall: 800 ml rain mainly in winter
- Temperature in summer: from almost frost (night) up to 30° average (day)
- Average production in total: 60 – 80’000 bottles from own grapes, further 50 – 60’000 from bought in fruit
- Vine training: single guyot – one cane training
- Very new: twin soil concept